Monday, 8 August 2011

goob's room - bookshelf reveal

finally - something big is complete in the ever ongoing saga of goob's room makeover!

here's a before of the bookshelf in question in the room in 2005 -


just your basic cheap pine bookshelf - which we painted white - but over the years that has changed to a yellow-white and there's been quite a bit of wear and tear.

here's the bookshelf cleared and the painting has started......with help from triple j.....


the bottom two shelves have their first coat of primer.
this baby took 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of top coat. final colour we used = dulux 1/4 strength fair bianca semi gloss. (it's a lovely milky white)
i didn't take photos while painting - it was all rather dull and a pain really.
once painted i rubbed back some of the edges lightly - and wiped on some walnut stain that we had in the garage - then wiped it off again - just so the raw pine that i sanded back to in places had a little more detail.

then i decided to either go with a paper or fabric on the back panels.
i printed out a few patterns from the internet - mostly black and white - plus we played with placing some fabrics in there.
in the end we decided on fabric.
using mod podge - this is how much we ended up using.....(there is not much left in each bottle).....

fyi - at spotlight - these cots $9 (small)  and $14 (medium)

this is the first big project i've used mod podge for - and i would probably just use a craft glue mixed with water next time - (here's a diy mod podge recipe i found on pinterest - here) - as the result is similar to what i've used in the past (a long time ago before this blog) - and it would be a lot less inexpensive in the end.
anyhoo - lessons learned!

this bookshelf has fixed shelves - so i had to work on each section individually.
i held fabric in the space - worked out how much i would need (top to bottom) - cut a nick in the fabric and ripped! i'm sure there are more accurate ways with tape measures etc - but this way worked for me.
i made sure i had a little overhang at the top and the bottom and both sides.
here's some pics of the pasting and cutting.....(click to enlarge)

i always worked from the left - and pasted the section of fabric right next to the selvage so that the pattern would be more or less the same on each shelf. (the selvage i then cut away)

i painted on some mod podge/glue in sections on the backboard - then placed and carefully stretched and pressed the fabric into place with my hand. (making sure to ease out air bubbles and wrinkles)
then i'd do a little more.
be careful to keep it straight along the shelf so as not to run out of fabric at either the top or bottom.
i let it dry a little - then cut along the edges (in the corners) carefully with a sharp knife.
for each shelf - when i finished cutting - i then painted 1 coat of mod podge over all the fabric - working again from left to right.
this coating would ensure all the fabric was secured well - especially in the corners - and the fabric has a thin protective coating.
the fabric does end up feeling rather stiff after this coat. (just fyi)

here's a finished shelf.....


and here's the final full length reveal.....

and some more photos cause i can!!




tissue paper blossum flowers posted about here
and here's a before and after photo - cause i like before and after photos!!

it looks so so pretty in goob's room - and ties in nicely with her new bunting flags that i posted about here - and i may have made some pom poms too.......here's a peak.....


i'll be back tomorrow with a look at the loaded up bookcase.
if i've been too confusing with my instructions - please feel free to drop me a line in the comments and i'll try to make things clearer.

what do you think - nice??
it's nice to finally have it all coming together.

hope monday is treating you well.
cheryl xox.

i'm linking up this project to a few great blog parties - do pop by if you get the chance.

The DIY Show Off


Furniture Feature Fridays
UndertheTableandDreaming
The Lettered Cottage

41 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl
    It's come up really well. I love the blue and white fabric. Great job. Well done.
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the transformation - beautiful fabric! I can't wait to see the reveal! I love what I'm seeing so far!

    Thanks so much for sharing in the DIY Project Parade! ;) It's so nice to "e-meet" you!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great transformation! I am working on a bookshelf makeover too so I am excited to see how great yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the colors and the pattern! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is great, love your choice of fabric, you did a great job! Saw you on linky party, now google friend following you. Would love it if you popped by and would love it if you followed me too, Karima x www.karimascrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh!!!

    this is totally gorgeous!!

    great colour combo...& sweet little gal!!

    melissa- miss sew & so
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the turn out!! I saw this post over at Not JUST a House Wife. I've been considering doing a couple of bookshelves in my master bedroom with some sort of backing like this, and your before and after have definitely inspired me! I'm your newest follower, I hope you'll stop by my blog sometime.

    dazzlingdomesticdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous, so pretty with the print! Thanks for linking up, great to meet you :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful. I love the color and fabric. I've got to try this with my plain bookshelves. Here is the bookshelf we just finished: http://www.obseussed.com/2011/08/owl-nursery-and-books-inspired-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the coolest thing I have seen in a while. Really great way to spiff up an existing item. I am FOR SURE going to do this to my book case :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmm, gotta love a little bookshelf eye candy. Looks great and I love the bright color you used. About how much fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't tried using paper yet. This is inspiring:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks SO pretty! Thanks for the tutorial. Modge Podge scares me - it's the big unknown! I'm going to PIN you for later :) I can already see this in my office! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you stopped by! I have this project and may tackle it in the fall. Thanks!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting to do this to a bookshelf. Your post makes me want to do it even more! The bookshelf is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic idea...it looks really awesome! I'm now following along so I can see more :)
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
  18. ok I'm officially in A-W-E Cheryl. Love dropping in and seeing all the amazing projects you get up to. I mean it, I'm in awe. I can barely manage to take a couple of photos and blog it if I'm lucky! The shelf looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your bookshelf makeover is awesome! I have a bookshelf sitting in storage that I plan on doing something like this to when I finally have a place to put it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your new bookshelf looks amazing! What a transformation! I absolutely love the fabric you chose to add to the back ... it truly pops and gives it such a fun flare! Becca (new follower by way of MMS). Come see me, sometime!

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this!! I just did one similar and now I want to go decorate all the shelves in my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just adorable! I can't wait to try this myself! I just bought my first bottle of Modge Podge and have yet to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How beautiful! Wonderful idea and I adore the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! I am going to do this to a bookshelf in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just LOVE this!
    So clever to use fabric-I would never had thought of that! Where did you get your beautiful fabric from?
    Bek xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. I can see why this is pinned often, it's beautiful, love the color and pattern on the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wasn't sure at first who Goob was. I know now that it's your daughter. That's not her real name is it?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any user discussion forums
    that cover the same topics discussed here? I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

    Here is my website - cigarette smoking occurred

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I have read this post and if I may just I want to counsel you some interesting issues or suggestions. Perhaps you could write subsequent articles referring to this article. I desire to learn even more issues approximately it!

    Here is my weblog discount shopping

    ReplyDelete
  30. What's up, I desire to subscribe for this web site to obtain most recent updates, therefore where can i do it please assist.

    my web page: easy stop smoking

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic job!

    my web-site http://www.warkeeper.com/index.php?title=Участник:PetraHask

    ReplyDelete
  32. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.
    Any recommendations?

    Also visit my blog :: writing online

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very quickly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building people, due to it's nice articles or reviews

    My blog post - http://sev4.social-city.Org/Blogs/8035/8102/avail-our-discount-business-chec

    ReplyDelete
  34. you are in reality a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity
    is incredible. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick. Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you've done a great activity in this subject!


    Here is my blog: pod coffee makers

    ReplyDelete
  35. You just need to start looking at what the best sushi place is in town.
    If something gets broken, you can remove them
    and are so simple to create festive deserts that
    will fill your heart with thoughts of being happy. In addition
    to self expression, they have been tied to a lower number.

    In short, they are forced to undergo today in
    order to secure themselves from head injury or
    leg fracture. After realising the importance of vinyl banners and employing vinyl signs.
    The highest rate of custom made stickers union jack.

    Also visit my web site - sticker Printing

    ReplyDelete
  36. constantly i used to read smaller articles which as well clear their
    motive, and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am
    reading at this place.

    Feel free to surf to my web page; superonlive.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love it! Beautiful! I think it would look awesome with bright orange fabric or bright green (like apple green) on the shelves. But still amazing transformation! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just want to thank you for posting this! Yours is the most detailed post I've found on Mod-Podging fabric to the back of a bookcase! I have a question for you, though; I just got done gluing the fabric to the back of the bookcase, and I'm waiting until that is dry to do a layer on the outside of the fabric. How long did you wait to put the books and things on the shelves? (I know it takes 4 weeks for the Mod Podge to fully "cure..." but I can't see myself waiting that long) I'm also wondering if I should paint a layer of some sort of sealer on top of the Mod Podge?
    Again, thank you for the inspiration and for the wonderful tutorial and pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks so much for dropping by - don't be shy to shout out hi!!
(i'm a poet and i didn't know it - ha.......sorry!!)
cheryl xox.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...